*(Article revamped and updated 11/21/2017)
US Patent 6630507 B1 – Cannabinoids as Antioxidants and Neuroprotectants.
Oct 7, 2003, filed by the United States of America as represented by the Department of Health and Human Services (link to the full patent)
Disclaimer: It is important to note that consulting with your doctor/physician should take precedence and come first when deciding upon treating any ailment or disease. Additionally, research into cannabis, while the field is indeed growing, is still limited and the need for clinical trials and experiments is a topic that society needs to collectively address. Proper and effective dosing, for example, is a facet of medical marijuana that has been difficult to establish due to restrictions our governments have in place.The potential for cannabis’ ability to save lives is one that cannot be overlooked, but unfortunately still needs to be intensively studied.
The following is a collection of news articles, research literature, peer reviewed medical studies, resources, documentaries, interviews, and lecture clippings discussing cannabis as a medicine for treating Parkinson’s Disease.
Smoking Pot Eases Tremors in Parkinson’s – Jun 2013 article at medpagetoday.com
Parkinson’s Disease and Cannabis | Marijuana Therapy – page found at DenverRelief.com
Dose marijuana help with Parkinson’s Disease? – Answer on wiki.answers.com
Medical Marijuana and Parkinson’s Disease – Apr 2013 article at TruthOnPot.com
New Study: Cannabis May Reverse Symptoms of Parkinson’s and Alzheimer’s – Aug 2013 article at TheJointBlog.com
Scholarly Articles and Medical Studies:
- Cannabidiol Normalizes Caspase 3, Synaptophysin, and Mitochondrial Fission Proten DNM1L Expression Levels in Rats with Brain Iron Overload: Implications for Neuroprotection – July 2013 study on springer.com
- Parkinson’s Helped By Marijuana-Like Chemicals In Brain – Feb 2007 study on MedicalNewsToday.com
- Survey on cannabis use in Parkinson’s disease: Subjective improvement of motor symptoms – Sep 2004 study on onlinelibrary.wiley.com
- The therapeutic potential of cannabis – May 2003 study on ScienceDirect.com
- Cannabis in Movement Disorders – Oct 1999 study on Karger.com
- Cannabidiol for the treatment of psychosis in Parkinson’s disease – Sep 2008 study on the Journal of Psychopharmacology
- The Endocannabinoid System in Parkinson’s Disease – Aug 2008 study on ingentaconnect.com
Ex-Cop Larry Smith Treats Parkinson’s with Cannabis (8 min)
Great and short documentary following former cop Larry Smith through his journey with medical cannabis.
Posted on youtube by Cannabis Saves Lives
Cannabis and Parkinson Disease.mp4 (3 min)
The description on youtube states, “If this is not proof that Cannabis can help with Parkinson’s Disease, I don’t know what is…” I agree.
Posted on youtube by The Roberto Angelone
Michael J Fox, Cannabis and Parkinsons (20 min)
Interviews with Michael J Fox and his wife on the usage of cannabis to treat his Parkinson’s. Also included is the story of Tyler French; a medical marijuana patient who was able to regain his ability to walk using cannabis.
Posted on youtube by LEGALIZE50
Cannabinoids and Movement Disorders, Juan Sanchez-Ramos, PhD, MD
Lecture by MD Juan Sanchez-Ramos, an expert in movement disorders, at the 2002 Clinical Conference on Cannabis Therapeutics.
Posted on youtube by CanabinoidAndroid
Cannabism Dads, and Parkinson’s Disease (2 min)
Clip from the Viceland show Bong Apetit showcasing a patient with Parkinson’s disease growing his own medicine.
Posted on youtube by Viceland
Parkinson’s Patient Finds Better Quality of Life with Medical Cannabis (6 min)
Medical marijuana patient David describes how cannabis has helped his lifestyle in dealing with Parkinson’s Disease.
Posted on youtube by Sam Sabzehzar
Medical Cannabis Prescribed in Israeli Nursing Home (3 min)
News clip of a piece on medical cannabis in Israeli nursing homes and clinics.
Posted on youtube by NTDTV
Dr. Bob Townsend on why medical marijuana should be approved for PTSD and Parkinson’s Disease (4 min)
Video taken from a hearing held by the Bureau of Health Services at the the State of Michigan Library – clip of a medical doctor’s testimony on medical cannabis for treating PTSD and Parkinson’s Disease.
Posted on youtube by Bonnie Bucqueroux
It is important to note that Parkinson’s disease currently has no known cure. However, cannabis, the safest medication known to man has been proven to ease the pain and discomfort associated with the disease. Most profoundly, as you can witness in some of the above videos, cannabis is more than likely the most effective treatment for dealing with an afflicted individual’s tremors.
If you or anyone you know is currently dealing with Parkinson’s disease, it may do you a great benefit to try cannabis as a treatment for it’s symptoms. It is more than likely cheaper than any prescription medications out there, it is more than likely more effective, and unlike something as simple as caffeine or aspirin (which can kill you) cannabis has zero chance of giving you a fatal overdose.
Thank you as always for checking out these links; please like, comment, and share.
- Cannabis Cures Cancer (cannajournal.com)
- An Overview of the Endocannabinoid System and Cannabinoids (How Cannabis Cures Cancer) (cannajournal.com)
- Consuming Raw Cannabis to Cure Cancer – Cannabis as a plant and vegetable. (You don’t get “high”) (cannajournal.com)
- Cannabis Can Kill Cancer Cells and Curb MS (sorendreier.com)
- Top Ten Cannabis Studies of 2013 (talesfromthelou.wordpress.com)
- Effective Natural Treatments for Parkinson’s Disease (healing.answers.com)
- Gene-silencing study finds new targets for Parkinson’s disease (sciencedaily.com)
- Emotions in Parkinson’s disease (eurekalert.org)
- Deep Brain Stimulation Helps Parkinson’s Patients Drive (counselheal.com)
- Medical pot for Fido: Seattle vets offer cannabis cure for pets (komonews.com)