Disclaimer: It is important to note that consulting with your doctor/physician should take precedence and come first when deciding upon treating any ailment or disease. Additionally, research into cannabis, while the field is indeed growing, is still limited and the need for clinical trials and experiments is a topic that society needs to collectively address. Proper and effective dosing, for example, is a facet of medical marijuana that has been difficult to establish due to restrictions our governments have in place.The potential for cannabis’ ability to save lives is one that cannot be overlooked, but unfortunately still needs to be intensively studied.
The following is a collection of news articles, research literature, peer reviewed medical studies, resources, documentaries, interviews, and lecture clippings discussing cannabis as a medicine for treating AIDS, HIV, and Wasting Syndrome.
Marijuana-Like Chemicals Inhibit Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV) in Late-State AIDS – Mar 2012 article on ScienceDaily.com
Marijuana-Like Compounds Fight AIDS, Study Finds – Mar 2012 article on Huffington Post Health News.
Temple Scientists Weaken HIV Infection in Immune Cells Using Synthetic Agents Related to Active Ingredient in Marijuana – Apr 2013 article from Temple University.
Synthetic Compounds From Marijuana Appear to Fight HIV – May 2013 article on AIDSMeds.com
Medical Marijuana & HIV/AIDS – FAQ page on Marijuana Policy Project.
Scholarly Articles and Medical Studies:
- Cannabinoid Receptor 2-Mediated Attenuation of CXCR4-Tropic HIV Infection in Primary CD4+ T Cells – Mar 2012 Plosone.org
- Attenuation of HIV-1 replication in macrophages by cannabinoid receptor 2 agonists – May 2013 JLB Journal of Leukocyte Biology
- The medical use of cannabis for reducing morbidity and mortality in patients with HIV/AIDS – Apr 2013 US National Library of Public Medicine
- Cannabis in painful HIV-associated sensory neuropathy – Feb 2007 Neurology.org
- Mary-Jane and her patients: sociodemographic and clinical characteristics of HIV-positive individuals using medical marijuana and antiretroviral agents – Mar 2001 Official Journal of the International AIDS Society
- Marijuana, the AIDS Wasting Syndrome, and the US Government – 1995 Medical Correspondence on the New England Journal of Medicine.
Medical Marijuana Patient Gary Bellitt – HIV (8 min)
HIV Patient Gary Bellitt testifies to the Iowa Board of Pharmacy during a hearing on medical marijuana. Here he discusses how cannabis had saved his life. He also describes how it helped him go back to school where he graduated with a 4.0 GPA – a nod to those who believe marijuana makes you stupid.
Posted on youtube by IowaPatients
AIDS Patient Turns to Medical Marijuana for Relief (2 1/2 min)
AIDS patient Henry describes how medical marijuana has made drastic changes to his life for the better.
Posted on youtube by Sam Sabzehzar
Dr. Donald Abrams Tells Us How Medical Marijuana Helps AIDS Patients – Pt1 (4 min)
Dr. Donald Abrams, MD of UCSF and San Francisco General Hospital discusses how cannabis benefits AIDS patients. He also discusses his 2007 study into cannabis and how difficult research can be with the Federal Government restrictions on medical studies involving marijuana.
Posted on youtube by Sam Sabzehzar
Dr. Donald Abrams Tells Us How Medical Marijuana Helps AIDS Patients – Pt2 (3 min)
Part 2 of the above video.
Posted on youtube by Sam Sabzehzar
Bradley Walter HIV patient: PA HB 1393 medical marijuana hearings (5 min)
HIV Patient Bradley Walter gives testimony to the PA House Health and Human Services Committee to allow for medical marijuana in his state. Here he describes how cannabis helps him live a normal life.
Posted on youtube by PA4MMJ
Can Marijuana Help AIDS Patients? | Marijuana (3 min)
Dr. Sunil Kumar Aggarwal, MD, PhD gives a brief overview of how marijuana is useful in the treatment of AIDS.
Posted on youtube by Howcast
AIDS, Pain & Cannabis, With Donald Abrams (10 min)
Lecture by Dr. Donald Abrams at the 3rd National Clinical Conference on Cannabis Therapeutics. Here he discusses his 2007 clinical study of cannabis on AIDS patients. He also discuss the benefits of cannabis on pain from neuropathy and the problems with trying to obtain legal cannabis.
Posted on youtube by cannabistherapeutics
Cannabis Medicine – AIDS – Medical Marijuana (2 min)
Short clip on Cannabis and AIDS throughout the years in San Francisco. Interviews with Dr. Greenspoon and Dr. Donald Abrams.
Posted on youtube by hampapartiet
HPAY 75: Marlene Helps Reg Get Off – AIDS Drugs, That is – On “Rick Simpson” Cannabis Oil (1h)
Podcast recording from the “How Positive Are You?” show. Here Rick Simpson Oil is discussed.
Posted on youtube by rethinkingAIDS
- More than 35 million people now live with HIV/AIDS.
- 3.3 million of them are under the age of 15.
- In 2012, an estimated 2.3 million people were newly infected with HIV.
- 260,000 were under the age of 15.
- Every day nearly 6,300 people contract HIV – 262 every hour.
- In 2012, 1.6 million people died from AIDS.
- 210,000 of them were under the age of 15.
- Since the beginning of the epidemic, more than 75 million people have contracted HIV and nearly 36 million have died of HIV-related causes.
Understand that even today, with full legalization of marijuana in the states of Washington and Colorado, most of the country and most of the world still demonizes and vilifies cannabis despite the fact that it could benefit society in so many ways. It is one of the most versatile and powerful medicine on the planet; had we discovered a plant with the exact same benefits as marijuana in the Amazon or in some Tibetan mountain the entire world would be going crazy over it. But, because of the stigma that is still attached to “weed,” cannabis remains a schedule I drug in the US touted as “having zero medical use” by the Federal Government. It remains inaccessible throughout most of the world, and in some countries, punishable with life sentences and even death!
This is insane, harmfully ignorant, and inhumane. Prohibition does nothing but harm society and it is unfair to everyone that we continue to believe in the age old propaganda. In some cases, we are even complicit with perpetuating the ignorance surrounding such a simple plant – that could fix a plethora of serious problems. Did you know hemp (yes marijuana, cannabis, and hemp are all the same thing) could fix the greenhouse effect? Did you know hemp makes a more effective bio-fuel for cars? Did you know you could plant hemp in radiated soil to remove the radiation? Are you starting to get the picture?
Please, discuss and share these facts about cannabis and hemp with the people you know. It has so many medicinal applications – again it could be saving billions of lives. It has so many practical applications in the form of hemp – it can be a source of paper, produce, building material, food, textiles, the list goes on. Humanity needs this plant, and the ignorance surrounding it needs to end.
- Cannabis Cures Cancer (cannajournal.com)
- Study Finds Medical Marijuana Could Help Patients Reduce Pain with Opiates (emeraldwellnesscoop.wordpress.com)
- Pennsylvania State Nurses Association backs legalizing medical marijuana (pennlive.com)
- Medicinal Cannabis and Painful Sensory Neuropathy (emeraldwellnesscoop.wordpress.com)
- [LOCAL NEWS] Pennsylvania Medical Marijuana Bill To Be Filed Monday. Is This A Step Forward Towards Legalization? (bdp4life.com)
- Texas Family ‘Forced’ To Colorado Seeking Marijuana Treatment For 3-Year-Old (houston.cbslocal.com)
- Midday Fix: Medical marijuana laws in Illinois (wgntv.com)
- Aldermen Want More Control Over Medical Marijuana Dispensaries (chicago.cbslocal.com)
- Reliable Tips For Picking An Excellent Santa Cruz Dispensary (bestdailyentries.blogspot.com)
- Nigeria: US won’t withdraw HIV/AIDS funding (en.starafrica.com)