Contrary to the popular myth that “marijuana increases crime and leads to violent behavior,” numerous scientific studies, surveys, and even research compiled by government sponsored agencies over the past several decades strongly suggests that cannabis helps to lower crime in communities that have not only decriminalized cannabis use, but also allowed for safe, regulated access.
The following is a compilation of just a few of those studies; feel free to do your own research, using google to look up “cannabis lowers crime,” or “cannabis and violent crime,”
is a great start.
Scientific Articles and Studies
- No correlation between medical marijuana legalization, crime increase: Legalization may reduce homicide, assault rates
Science Daily. Mar 26, 2014, University of Texas at Dallas.
- The Effect of Medical Marijuana Laws on Crime: Evidence from State Panel Data, 1990-2006
PlosOne.org. Mar 26, 2014, Morris et al.
- Medical Marijuana’s Legalization and Crime Rates
- California Youth Crime Plunges to All-Time Low
Center on Juvenile and Criminal Justice. Oct 2012
- The relationship between cannabis and violence: A review
American Psychological Association, Mar 1977
News Articles, Clippings, Law Enforcement Studies, and Social Surveys
- Medical Marijuana Dispensaries and Their Effect on Crime
Compilation of various police department surveys
- Study on Pot Shops Has A Twist: Rand finds less crime, no more, near L.A. dispensaries. Sheriff, city attorney’s office dispute conclusions.
Los Angeles Times. Sep 2011
- Study: Enactment of Medical Cannabis Laws Associated With Lower Rates of Violent Crimes
NORML. Apr 2014
- Study Reveals Lower Crime Rate Near Pot Dispensaries
NBC Los Angeles. Sep 2011
- Reminder: Medical Marijuana Dispensaries Appear to Lower Crime Rates
TheJointBlog. Mar 2013
Medical Marijuana Distribution & Crime | Marijuana
Learn if medical marijuana distribution leads to an increase in crime.
How New Cannabis Prohibition Laws Created Crime in Holland
The new prohibition laws in Holland are predictably causing crime – the black market has exploded and unscrupulous dealers have taken to the streets to sell marijuana and harder drugs.
Experts Say Legalizing Pot Would Cut Gang Violence
From Cannabis Culture TV. It is argued that gang violence would be reduced with cannabis legalization.
Portugal Legalizes Drugs – Crime, Usage Drops
A look at how Portugal’s decriminalization policies have lowered illicit drug use.
Obama Drug Policy Rep SERIOUSLY SCHOOLED During Congressional Hearing on Legalization of Marijuana
A blaring look into how even the DEA cannot sufficiently argue in favor of prohibition. Long and eyeopening.
How to lower crime by David Paul
Educated answer by mayoral candidate on cannabis and prohibition.
Mark Kleiman on Regulating Weed: Vice Podcast 022
Professor of public policy at UCLA gives a talk on the regulation of cannabis and other controlled substances.
Bill O’Reilly’s Ass Kicked in Pot Debate
Bill O’Reilly debates Mary Katherine Ham and loses badly, concedes, “If adults want to use it, I have no problem with it.”
The above should serve as sufficient science based evidence to debunk the following misconceptions concerning cannabis: that marijuana causes violent behavior, that marijuana legalization will lead to increased crime and corruption, and that marijuana legalization will lead to the disastrous decay of societies that allow for cannabis usage.
It would appear that ignorance and an acute lack of education in the field of cannabis is what proponents of prohibition are being led by in their egregious arguments. Furthermore, the continued denial of cannabis’ medical efficacy still afflicts society and it is unfortunate that millions of individuals throughout the world suffer as a result of bad, poorly educated social policies.
However, it is hoped that with the continued efforts going into spreading smart legalization of cannabis, the continued scientific and medical studies going into the therapeutic cannabinoids and terpenoids contained in the cannabis plant, and with the changes in perception surrounding cannabis, that we can reap the many benefits it can provide – not just as a medicine but with it’s industrial uses as hemp as well.
As always, like, comment, but most importantly share if the cannabis cause is important to you. Thank you for taking the time for reading this.
- Colorado Legalization 90 Days In: Crime Down; $33 Million in Taxes Earmarked For Public Health (eastbayexpress.com)
- CRC Report: Decriminalize Personal Possession (bernews.com)
- Actually, Medical Marijuana Legalization Could Reduce Crime (blogs.sfweekly.com)
- Hundreds march across France to legalize cannabis (PHOTOS) (talesfromthelou.wordpress.com)
- Feds seek prison for rural Washington pot growers (northwestohio.com)
- U.S. marijuana legalization is hurting Mexican drug cartels (rare.us)
- 3 Months Since Legalizing Marijuana, Here’s What Colorado Looks Like (secretsofthefed.com)
- Washington family faces federal charges for marijuana despite state law (theguardian.com)
- Violent Crime Drops Where People Have Access to Marijuana, Study Suggests (alternet.org)
- 5 Diseases Proven To Respond Better To Cannabis Than Prescription Drugs (talesfromthelou.wordpress.com)